Wednesday, March 23, 2011

MEYER WOLFSHEIM

There is something very suspicious about Wolfsheim from the moment he is introduced to this novel. We are informed that he conducts under the counter business. This reminds me of the mafia. When I was reading this, I was thinking, "I wonder how many people he's killed in his life..." My family is Italian, so I've always had an interest in the mafia. Later we find out that he used to bootleg alcohol and that Gatsby was involved with the business. That is part of the reason that Gatsby is so wealthy now. Nick is curious as to whether Gatsby is still involved in the business, because he still has a good relationship with Wolfsheim. I doubt that Gatsby is fully involved anymore, but maybe he does it on the side sometimes when he needs some extra money.

No comments:

Post a Comment