Thursday, September 9, 2010

"After Apple-Picking" Robert Frost

I think that apple-picking represents life, and after life is death; therefore, I think that this poem is an extended metaphor for looking back at one's life after death. I think that climbing the ladder represents time in purgatory while God looks over one's life and decides whether this person should go to heaven or hell. The "two or three apples... [he] didn't pick" are experiences he never had. Frost says in line 6 that he is done with apple-picking now, which means he has passed away. I think in saying "The scent of apples: I am drowsing off" is saying that he is losing his memory. But this man is old in age, because he said that he is "well upon... [his] way to sleep before it fell." I believe that the "magnified apples appear[ing] and disappear[ing]" are different scenes from his life flashing before his life. I think Frost describing his foot aching and the pressure of the latter further exemplifies my theory of purgatory, because he has to wait for God's decision. The "ten thousand thousand fruit to touch" are the many opportunites of life. When he says to cherish every apple, even if it's bruised, he is saying to learn from one's own mistakes. Finally, I think that he compares this sleep to the sleep of a woodchuck, hibernation, because it is an extended amount time that he is sleeping. This could also be time in purgatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment