Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Crossing the Bar" Alfred, Lord Tennyson

This poem is about a man who is extremely accepting of death. He knows it's going to happen, so he somewhat embraces it. In the first stanza, he says "may there be no moaning of the bar/ When I put out to sea." I took this as the speaker not wanting people to mourn his death, because he feels like it is his time to go. In the second stanza, the last line says, "that which drew from out the boundless deep/ Turns again home." This is showing that he is dying and going to heaven with God, because it speaks of returning back home. God created us in heaven, and that is where he plans to go when he dies. Again in the third stanza, the speaker says, "may there be no sadness of farewell/ When I embark," further proving the point that he does not want people to be sad about his death. Then finally in the last stanza, he says, "I hope to see my Pilot face to face/ When I have crossed the bar." In this sentence, the "Pilot" is God; He even capitalizes the "P" in the word. I would say the tone of this poem is accepting.

1 comment: