Thursday, September 9, 2010

"Spring" Gerard Manley Hopkins

While reading "Spring," I began interpreting that this poem was about pregnancy. I may be completely off, but I tried making everything match up so that nothing was contradicting my theory, as Perrine said to do in his essay. It is common for people to say that pregnancy is beautiful-"Nothing so beautiful." "Thrush's eggs" refer to the fertilized egg. The "rinse and ring" could refer to a woman's cycle. In saying the "peartree leaves and blooms" could mean the baby is growing. I interpreted line 11, "In Eden garden. --Have get, before it cloy," as the innocence of the mother in father before they conceive the child. The "cloud" and "sour sinning" could be the man and woman getting lost in the meaning or the hardships of the pregnancy, such as morning sickness, mood swings, and whatnot. I thought that line 13, "Innocent mind and Mayday boy and girl," was ironic, because the boy and girl are now having their own innocent child. Then line 14 talks about the "choice and worthy winning" of the "maid's child," which I interpretted as the baby being born, and the parents being pleased with their decision to have the child. Like I said, that may be all wrong. Just throwing it out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment