Thursday, September 9, 2010

"Those Winter Sundays" Robert Hayden

Most people interpret this poem as a boy who is afraid of his father, because of a rough life at home, but I got a completely different idea when I read it. I took it from a religious standpoint. Sunday is a holy day of obligation for Christians. I received the father as God, because God is our Father. The first stanza tells of all this work that the father does for everyone, but then says, "No one ever thanked him." I took that as His people being ungrateful for the many gifts he gives us. Stanza two tells of the fear the boy has of his father and "the chronic angers of that house," which I saw as hell. When Hayden says, "speaking indifferently to him," I thought that was referring to prayer when people never thank God for the many blessings he bestows upon us, yet, instead, we ask for things. It may be a stretch, but I am pretty sure that nothing is contradicting my theory. I did a little research on Robert Hayden, and he was raised a Baptist, which is a Christian denomination, but later converted to Baha'i faith when he married his wife. Baha'i faith is a monotheistic religion emphasizing the spiritual unity of all humankind (wikipedia).

1 comment: