Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Hunters in the Snow" Tobias Wolff 2

I thought that these three men: Kenny, Frank, and Tub are a quite peculiar group of friends. At first, Kenny and Frank seem to have an alliance and gang up to make fun of Tub. At this point, I felt bad for Tub, because I thought that he was being betrayed by his friends. Then later when Tub shoots Kenny, Frank told him he would have done the same thing. I think that this shows that Frank felt obliged to agree with Kenny, because he knew his secret of being in love with the babysitter and did not want him to tell anyone, which gave me the sense that Kenny is not a trustworthy person. While on the way to the hospital, Frank and Tub stop at a bar, then a tavern and just left their bullet wounded friend in the bed of the truck to suffer and slowly but surely die. I found this particularly odd, because I would never do that to anyone I know, let alone, one of my good friends. Then when Tub declares that he lost they directions, they shrug it off because they think they remember, but they are not sure. This further exemplifies my thought that they are terrible friends. Then after they leave the tavern, they take the blankets from Kenny, because he is unable to hold them on top of himself under his conditions, because they are cold. They sicken me. Finally the last paragraph repeats how Frank keeps telling Kenny to say that he is "going to the hospital," but really he is not, because they took a different turn a long way back. This makes me wonder if they consciously took the wrong turn or if it was an accident. Either way it could have been avoided if they had gone back to get the directions or hadn't have stopped in the first place. They are awful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment