Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"A Rose for Emily" William Faulkner

I actually did anticipate the end of story, because there were clues throughout the story that helped me foreshadow this event. When Emily's father died, she denied his death, and only broke down and let people from town take his body when they were about to resort to law. This gives us the idea that she is not accepting of death, or maybe she just doesn't care if someone dies; she just thinks that everything should continue as normal. Then one day, Homer Barron just leaves without a word to anyone. This caused me to suspect that he really didn't leave, and then when she goes and buys arsenic, it led me to believe that she killed him. Another thing that led me to this conclusion is when on page 287, it says "...Homer himself had remarked -- he liked men, and it was known that he drank with the younger men in the Elk's Club -- that he was not a marrying man." Even with this obvious knowledge, she bought "a man's toilet in silver, with the letters H. B. on the piece... [and] a complete outfit of men's clothing." This meant that she was not going to let his homosexuality stop her from marrying him. Taking all of this into account, I was not surprised when I read the ending of the story, still creeped out, but not surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment