Friday, July 9, 2010

Bull-Fights

"Romero flicked his cape up so the color caught the bull's eye. The bull charged with the reflex, charged, and found a flash of color but a white horse, and a man leaned far over the horse, shot the steel point of the long hickory shaft into the hump of muscle on the bull's shoulder, and pulled his horse sideways as he pivoted on the pic, making a wound, enforcing the iron into the bull's shoulder, making him bleed for Belmonte" (pg 220).



The description of the bull-fight is so vivid that I almost feel like I'm there. I had no previous knowledge of bull-fights, and now I feel like I would be able to follow one pretty well. I would pay great attention to the matador's actions as Barnes did. I would look to see how close the matador was to the bull to see if he really is brave or if it's just an illusion. I thought it was very interesting that a bull can be color-blind and still able to fight. I thought it was unfair that everyone was not impressed by Romero's fight against that bull, because they didn't know about it's impairment. Before if someone invited me to a bull-fight, I would most likely pass it up, but now I would be interested in going. I'm not going to book a flight to Spain anytime soon, but if I ever find myself there, I will definitely go to a bull-fight.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad many of you are expressing some fulfillment in reading the descriptions of the bull-fights. Maybe it's because Hemingway was usually so sparse in all the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete