Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Stereotype

"What's the matter, Frances?" Barnes
"Oh, nothing, except that he wants to leave me." Frances
"How do you mean?" Barnes
"Oh, he told everyone that we were going to be married, and I told my mother and every one, and now he doesn't want to do it." Frances
(pg 53).


Previously in the novel, Frances Clyne is stereotyped as a status seeker. By chapter 6 she is determined to marry Cohn, who now refuses to marry her as he had promised in the past. Frances taking Barnes across the street to talk to him about Cohn seems pointless to me. Barnes does not seem like the type to get involved in other people's business. Her rant at dinner accusing Cohn of leaving for other women and whatnot, although it may be true, was childish unnecessary in front of Barnes. I think how she was "bright" and smiling throughout her tirade was somewhat sinister and creepy, for lack of a better word. People making accusations really frustrates me. I wonder if this anger is built up so high, because she wants his high status or because she is really in love with him now. Barnes described Cohn looking at no other women besides Frances at the beginning of their relationship. Now he refuses to settle down with her. It's crazy how the tables turn.

1 comment: