Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pun

"You might take up social service" (pg 89). Jacob Barnes

In chapter 9, when Brett is telling Barnes that she went to San Sebastian with Cohn, noting that she thought it would be good for him, Barnes gets jealous and sarcastically suggests that she "might take up social service." I find his pun quite humorous. First of all, Brett agitates me in the way she treats men. It reminds me of Brittney Spears' song "Womanizer," but she would be a "manizer." She is an attractive young lady and she takes full advantage of that fact. She uses men for her own selfish wants. She uses Barnes for actual feelings, the count for his money, and Cohn for his body? I believe that she is confused at this time and is just trying to figure out what she needs in her life, but in the meanwhile, she is making herself look like an imbecile. Second of all, I like to retaliate when people anger me as well, so I can relate. If I had to be categorized as a type of fighter, it would probably be a verbal fighter. I hate when people attack me verbally, but I love when I have just the right thing to stump them. I know it's hypocritical, but it's true.


1 comment: