Monday, July 5, 2010

Stubbornness

"Did you ever think about going to British East Indies?" Barnes
"No, I wouldn't like that." Cohn
"I'd go there with you." Barnes
"No; that doesn't interest me." Cohn
"That's because you never read a book about it. Go on and read a book full of love affairs with the beautiful shiny black princesses." Barnes
"I want to go to South America." Cohn
(pg 18)

In chapter 2, Cohn asks Barnes to accompany him to South America, and when Barnes tries to convince him to go elsewhere he won't. This is the first time in the book that we are able to see a stubborn side of Cohn. It seems as though he may be going through a midlife crisis. Although I cannot relate in that way, I feel as though I can identify to his stubbornness in a way. When I set my mind to something, I will not change it if it is important to me. In many aspects of life I am willing to compromise, but when it comes to something that I feel strongly about, there is hardly any way to convince me otherwise. Cohn feels strongly about going to South America, and Barnes is unable to change his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment