Monday, July 5, 2010

Georgette


"I wish to present my fiancee, Mademoiselle Georgette Leblanc" (pg 26). Barnes

The way that Barnes picks up Georgette at the Napolitain and later that night introduces her to his friends as his fiance confuses me. I do not understand why when she tries to kiss him he denies her, then pretends to act so fondly of her towards his friends. On page 24, he says that he picked her up because of "a vague sentimental idea that it would be nice to eat with someone," which is fine. The part that muddles me is how he brings her with him to meet his friends, then lets her dance with other guys and departs with Brett, leaving Georgette with a fifty-franc note. It's not that I feel bad for her, because I don't really. I just don't understand why he would call her his fiance. Maybe that meant something different at the time, or in Paris; I am not sure. It does not make me think less of Barnes, just makes me wonder about the type of man he is.

1 comment:

  1. I read it as an example of Jake wanting his friends to think he had a girl, that it was more of a show/lie, but when it came down to it, he truly wants to be with Brett.

    ReplyDelete