Monday, July 5, 2010

Suspense

"It's funny... It's very funny. And it's a lot of fun, too, to be in love." Barnes
"Do you think so?" Brett
"I don't mean fun in that way. In a way it's an enjoyable feeling." Barnes
"No... I think it's hell on earth." Brett
(pg 35)

Every encounter between Brett and Jake leaves me wanting more. I am curious about their past. The way they tell each other they love each other, yet refuse to be together leads me to wonder what happened. I have never been in love, but I know what it is like to have strong feelings towards someone and for that person to have strong feelings towards you, but knowing that there is no way that it can work out between the two of you. It's awful. The time spent between the two is bitter sweet. They love the company of one another, but there is something preventing their relationship from working. Jake staying up half the night thinking about them, eventually crying himself to sleep causes me to speculate the troubles that led them to this point. I want to know why she is so comfortable talking to him about the count, Michael, her future fiance. Thus far, their relationship is the most interesting part of the novel to me.

1 comment: