Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Motif

"Oh, Brett, I love you so much." Barnes
"Darling. Do you want me to send him away?" Brett
"No. He's nice." Barnes
"I'll send him away." Brett
(pg. 61)


Continuously throughout the novel, Brett and Barnes struggle through their love for each other and the decision they have made to not be together. I'm not sure if this actually qualifies as a motif, but it seems to follow the guidelines for the most part: it is a recurring situation. In chapter 7, Brett coming to Barnes' apartment with the count and asking the count to leave and get some champagne shows her utter disregard for the count and obvious desire to spend time with Barnes. Saying 'I love you' is a big deal to me; therefore, I do not comprehend how they can just tell each other they love each other and not do anything about it. Why is Barnes comfortable with having Brett's future husband in his home, sitting with him at his kitchen table? Although this situation keeps occurring, I have not begun to fathom what happened or what is preventing the two of them from being happy together. I do not like the fact that Brett apparently uses the count, and he just puts up with it and gives her everything her little heart desires. The whole marriage system at the time angers me, because I believe marriage should be based on love, and in no way based upon merit or status.


1 comment: