Friday, August 13, 2010

Ambush

"It was entirely automatic. I did not hate the young man; I did not see him as the enemy; I did not ponder issues of morality or politics or military duty" (pg 126).

Killing is part of the job description when it comes to being a soldier in a war. Everyone knows that. O'Brien's dialect makes it even more real. It's not that you hate the other person, it's just your duty as a soldier to kill the "enemy." I can't speak from experience, because obviously I don't have any, but it probably would become something like a reflex. There's no time to think; he must obey his obligation to our country. I don't think I could ever be a soldier for that reason. It takes great courage and self control to be a soldier, and I don't think I could handle it. That's why we love our soldiers!

No comments:

Post a Comment