Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Things They Carried


















"Among the necessities or near-necessites were P-38 can openers, pocket knives, heat tabs, wristwatches, dog tags, mosquito repellent, chewing gum, candy, cigarettes, salt tablets, packets of Kool-Aid, lighters, matches, sewing kits, Military Payment Certificates, C rations, and two or three canteens of water. Together, these items weighed between 12 and 18 pounds, depending upon a man's habits or rate of metabolism" (pg 2).



As I began reading this book, the first chapter made me believe that it was just going to be fact after fact. I was afraid that there would be no storyline like "Ship Ablaze" and the other fictional novels we had to read in Mrs. Helbing's U.S. History class last year. But, at the same time, the great imagery helped me understand what was physically weighing the soldiers down. I had never really though about how they constantly had to carry everything they needed with them at all times, because at any second they could be moving to another location. It helped me appreciate the fact that I have the option to carry whatever I want with me at all times, and if I needed something I can easily just get it later. Another thing that stuck out to me was the exact measurement each item weighed, and how it was considered silly to bring a letter or something, simply because it would be unnecessary weight. This is actually a quite sad concept in my opinion. I never think about how much something weighs before I throw it in my purse, I just go. Unfortunately, the soldiers cannot be so carefree.

No comments:

Post a Comment