Thursday, August 12, 2010

On The Rainy River


"It was my view then, and still is, that you don't make war without knowing why" (pg 38).



Growing up in a house where my mother despises war and would never in a million years let my only brother go into the army, I completely agree with this statement. Why go to war if there is not an absolute reason? A misunderstanding is not good enough. It is not fair to take innocent young boys and make them fight in a war. That is why I am glad there hasn't been in a draft for so long. I cannot imagine my classmates being shipped of to Afghanistan and Iraq to fight for our country. I feel like if they don't do it themselves, then how are they supposed to have any motivation to fight. The only motivation they would have would be the desire to win. Someone who willingly signs up to join the army, in my opinion, would be 10x better suited to help win. It should be a personal decision for the man, not something that is forced upon one.

1 comment: