Thursday, August 12, 2010

Enemies

"Something must've snapped. One afternoon he began firing his weapon into the air, yelling Strunk's name, just firing and yelling, and it didn't stop until he'd rattled off an entire magazine of ammunition" (pg 60).


The mood of this chapter is so intense that I feel like I am there. I feel like I can totally relate to the anger that he was feeling. Sometimes emotions are like a ticking bomb; eventually, they're going to explode. One can only keep things inside for so long, before they completely go crazy. I have witnessed this happen before in a different way. My friend kept having awful things happen to her, but she stayed strong and never let her pain show. Until one night we were sitting in my room, and she just started bawling uncontrollably. There was nothing I could do or say to make her stop. She just kept rambling on about everything. I was almost afraid to do anything just like O'Brien said their platoon didn't want to stop him. Sometimes you just have to let people go.

1 comment:

  1. are you able to pinpoint how the author creates that intense mood?

    ReplyDelete