Friday, August 13, 2010

Speaking of Courage

"On the lake side of the road, where real estate was most valuable, the house were handsome and set deep in, well kept and brightly painted, with docks jutting out into the lake, and boats moored and covered with canvas, and neat gardens, and sometimes even gardeners, and stone patios with barbecue spits and grills, and wooden shingles saying who lived where. On the other side of the road, to his left, the houses were also handsome, though less expensive and on smaller scale and with no docks or boats or gardeners" (pg 132).



In chapter 15, we are able to see little bit of the local color of Norman Bowker's hometown. We hear about the landscape of the town. One road is divided in half with one half being upper class and the other half being more middle class. It's crazy how on literally the same road, things can be so different. I mean I guess it's not that different, but there are definitely noticeable distinctions between each side. It makes me wonder if the people got along on both sides, or if the people on the wealthier side thought they were better. It makes me curious. I have never witnessed a road like this. Although my pictures probably don't accurately depict the road at all, this is how I imagine it.

No comments:

Post a Comment