Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Man I Killed


"You want to trade places with him? Turn it all upside down--you want that? I mean, be honest" (Pg 120).



Kiowa was just trying to make O'Brien feel better by saying this, but when it comes down to it, it's a really hard concept to think about. You're in a war and you kill a man. That's kind of what war's all about, right? Well I would be with O'Brien on this one. I would feel terrible killing another human being under almost any condition, even if I'm fighting in a war. Kiowa was trying to use rhetoric I believe. He wanted to persuade him that he did the right thing.Would you rather die fighting for your country or kill someone fighting for your country. Either way it sucks. Either you live knowing that you ended someone's life. (Who knows who that person was, what accomplishments they may achieve, or who their family is at home.) Or you die. Which one would you chose?

1 comment: