Wednesday, April 6, 2011

ALLUSION

"'I told her she might be able to fool me but she couldn't fool God. I took her to the window'--with an effort he got up and walked to the rear window and leaned with his face pressed against it--'and I said 'God knows what you've been doing, everything you've been doing. You may fool me, but you can't fool God!'' Standing behind him, Michaelis saw with a shock that he was looking at the eyes of Doctor T.J. Eckleburg, which had just emerged, pale and enormous, from the dissolving night" (pg 158).

The way that Doctor T.J. Eckleburg is constantly watching over the novel makes him seem like God. Wilson even goes as far as referring to Eckleburg as God. This allusion makes the novel seem more corrupt in my opinion, because they know that what they are doing is wrong, but the do it anyways under the eyes of God. I think that this is one of the reasons that this novel is so unversal, because we all sin. Most people do things wrong, even though they know they are wrong, and whether they realize that God is watching or not, He is. It also shows that at least some of the people in this novel have a faith. It is never established which denomination, but I think that also makes it universal, because many people can relate to a belief in God. It makes one think about their own lives and how they feel about God watching everything they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment