Wednesday, April 6, 2011

COINCIDENCE???

"A new point of view occured to me. Suppose Tom found out the Daisy had been driving. He might think he saw a connection in it--he might think anything" (pg 144). As soon as the black man said it was a yellow car, I was wondering if Daisy knew what Myrtle looked like and whether she would intentionally injure her or not. I didn't think that she would kill her on purpose, because then Tom might kill Gatsby in revenge. I also wondered whether it was Gatsby or Daisy driving. In my mind it would make more sense for Gatsby to kill Myrtle in an attempt to hurt Tom, after Tom had upset him so badly. It could have been a type of vengeance, like if Daisy can't have me, then you can't have Myrtle. I also wondered, like Nick, if Tom would make a connection, and if he would do anything about it if he did. Another thought running through my head was if Myrtle was trying to get hit or if she was trying to talk to Tom. I am still curious on that matter and whether Daisy tried to stop before she hit her, because I know she took off afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment