Thursday, April 21, 2011

PARALLELISM

"My presesnt situation was one in which all voluntary thought was swalloed up and lost. I was hurried away by fury; revenge alone endowed me with strenth and composure; it moulded my feelings, and allowed me to be calculating and calm, at periods when otherwhise delirium or death would have been my portion" ( pg 149).

This chapter shows the unity of the story. The monster was able to bring his creator to his level. Now he can finally understand the loneliness and solidarity that the monster had to face. When being forced into this situation, both of them react in the same way. They seek revenge. The monster was trying to hurt Victor by hurting the ones dear to him, and Victor wanted to kill the monster because of this. It was quite suspenseful reading when wondering if Victor would ever actually catch him. I think that his desire to kill his creation matches the desire he had to create the monster. He wanted with everything in him to accomplish the goal, but once he found him, was he going to be able to overcome the monster's supernatural strength and kill him? It seems as though Victor is the type to not really think about his actions before he actually does things.

No comments:

Post a Comment