Wednesday, April 6, 2011

INTERNAL CONFLICT

"'Oh, you want too much!' she cried to Gatsby. 'I love you now--isn't that enough? I can't help what's past.' She began to sob helplessly. 'I did love him once--but I loved you too'" (pg 132). Daisy is possessed by great internal conflict. She fell in love with Gatsby before he left for war, but she wanted a normal life while he was gone and didn't know if he was ever going to come back. She fell in love with Tom and married him while Gatsby was away. Now that Gatsby has returned back into her life she doesn't know what to do! She knows it would be wrong for her to leave her husband, but he has an affair on the side; therefore, she feels like it is acceptable for her to do the same. That was going over fine for her until Tom starts to realize what is going on, and Gatsby just comes out and tells him that she doesn't love him. I feel like she doesn't know if she loves him or not, because of the bad things that he has done to her in the past, but she still really cares about him, feels a sense of loyalty towards him, and wouldn't want to hurt him. I hate how we don't get closure on their relationship at the end of the novel. I want to know if they end up happy together or if they have more affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment