Thursday, April 14, 2011

It's ALIVE!

"Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of pearly whiteness; but these luxurances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips" (pg 35). It is shocking that Victor would be so disgusted by his creation after he spent so much time and effort on making it. However, the imagery the monster is quite frightening. If I were to see this creature come alive before my eyes, I would probably think about running away too, but I hope I would realize that would be the wrong thing to do. By running away and neglecting his responsibility of this creation, he puts the lives of many others (his brother!) in danger. It makes one question why he ever decided to make this monster. I wonder if it was because he never thought he could actually do it; it is defeating the laws of nature to be able to create life. I would never think I could accomplish such an astonishing feat. In class, we talked about how he only thought about, "Can I do it?" not "Should I do it?" I believe that it is kind of a mixture of both. He wanted to prove that he could do it, but he didn't know if he could, so when he accomplished his goal, he didn't know what to do with the product. He never thought about the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment