Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happily Ever After... NOT!

"'That is also my victim!' he exclaimed; 'in his murder my crimes are consummated; the miserable series of my being is wound to its close! Oh, Frankenstein! generous and self-devoted being! what does it avail that I now ask thee to pardon me? I, who irretrievably destroyed thee by destroying all thou lovedst. Alas! he is cold, he cannot answer me'" (pg 163).

SURPRISE! The monster in which Frankenstein was in search of when he found his place on this ship had found him on that very ship...dead. His reaction to his creator's death was also shocking. He had done everything in his power to make Victor unhappy, killing all of his loved ones. However, when Victor actually died, he felt great sorrow and remourse. He asked for forgiveness. He even wanted to kill himself. I feel like the same thing would happen if Victor found the monster dead, because his only goal in life was to kill the monster, and if the monster were to be already dead, he would no longer have a point to live. No matter how much they despised each other, their lives were basically run by the other. They had so many connections that there was no escaping each other...until DEATH.

No comments:

Post a Comment